On the Nolichucky River
(Registration Deadline – July 15, 2017)
Whitewater enthusiasts participate in hazardous activities in wilderness environments. Are you prepared to rescue yourself or your best paddling friend? Are they prepared to rescue you? Help in many cases may not be immediately available, and might be hours, not minutes away. If you’ve already had the Basic Swiftwater Rescue Class and are looking to tune up the skills that will help keep you and those you care about safe this is your chance.
Your instructor Scott Fisher is an ACA certified advanced swiftwater rescue and advanced whitewater kayak instructor and has provided instruction to hundreds of individuals, including paddlers, outfitter guides, firefighters, rescue personnel and staff of youth camps.
• Reinforce skills leaned in the Basic Swiftwater Rescue Course
• Practice skills during multiple scenarios
• Refine and extend critical judgment through multiple scenarios
COURSE PREREQUISITES: Students are required to have completed an ACA Basic Swiftwater Rescue Course. All paddle craft are welcome. Participants should be in good health and overall fitness, possess solid swimming ability, and be comfortable swimming in moving current during river drills. Participants should dress appropriately for weather and temperature, and should expect to be in the water for extended periods of time.
MINIMUM PERSONAL GEAR: Type III PFD designed for whitewater use (Rescue PFD is recommended but not required), whitewater helmet, protective clothing suitable for extended swimming in cold water, protective footwear, boat (optional), paddle, whistle, throw rope, 15+ feet of one inch tubular nylon webbing, 2 locking carabiners, and 2 prusik loops (2 x 6-8 feet pieces of 4-5 millimeter polypropylene cord)
Where: Lower Nolichucky River
When: July 22, 2017; optional knot-tying practice evening prior July 21st for those interested.
Time: Sat: 8:00 A.M.–6:00 P.M. (EST); optional knot-tying Fri eve 7:00-9:00 P.M.
Cost: $80; APEs members can deduct $10; ACA members can further deduct $5
(Non-Refundable after July 15th unless replacement found)
Lodging Options: Camping is available at Riverpark Campground or Nolichucky Gorge Campground, reserve with either campground directly. Closest hotel is Mountain Inn & Suites, 2002 Temple Hill Rd, Erwin, TN (423) 743-4100.
Class Size: Class will be limited to 15 participants
REGISTRATION: There are two ways to register to reserve your spot :
1. Online: Register online at http://www.riverapes.org/registration.html. After submitting your registration you will be directed to http://www.riverapes.org/paypal-1.html to pay for the course using PayPal. APEs (or TEHCC) membership is required to participate and can also be purchased online at http://www.riverapes.org/paypal-1.html for $10. No need to fill out and send in a separate membership form. Your online registration will double for that purpose.
2. Mail: Click Here to download the PDF Registration Form and mail in with payment made out to APEs to Scott Fisher: 109 Highland Gate Dr., Johnson City, TN 37615. Those mailing in their registration can add the $10 annual APEs membership fee to their course payment. No need to fill out and send in a separate membership form. Your registration form will double for that purpose.
ONLINE NOTE: Courses not listed in Registration Course Menu are full. Please contact Scott at email@example.com to be placed on waiting list.
Questions: Feel free to contact Scott at (276) 698-4644 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org