World Kayak proudly announces the 9th annual series of grassroots paddling events in the Tri-Cities region. The World Kayak Hometown Throwdown is a series of FUN & FREE whitewater paddling events aimed at friendly competition on the Nolichucky River. Event rules are easy and prizes are only given out for participation… we draw names from a hat!
All boaters/paddlers are welcome to participate! Our World Kayak region has teamed up with local Sponsors & World Kayak Partners to have this event in conjunction with the Nolichucky Attainment League with some great prizes! Look for other HTTD events over the course of the 2017 summer paddling season also. This event will be a 1.5 mile downriver boatercross course on the Lower Nolichucky (Class I-II rapids) from USA Raft to Uncle Jonny’s!
Date & Time: May 18, 2017 @ 6:3o P.M.
Place: U.S.A. Raft, 2 Jones Branch Rd, Erwin TN
Directions to USA Raft Nolichucky River
When using a GPS system, you will receive a prompt asking if you would like to avoid unpaved roads. Please select “no” you would not like to avoid unpaved roads. Our outpost is at the end of a gravel drive.
The Nolichucky River is about 50 miles from Asheville, NC (50 min.) and 1.5 hours from the Boone, Blowing Rock and Banner Elk area of the high country in NC.
USA Raft Nolichucky River: Physical address: 2 Jones Branch Road. Erwin, TN 37650.
Once you arrive at Jones Branch Road, you will see the river on your right. Please continue 1.2 miles along this road. We are located at the end of the road.
– Registration/sign-in will begin at 6:00 P.M. on the day of the event at USA Raft. Look for the Hometown Throwdown banner.
– The event will kick off with a paddler’s meeting at 6:30 A.M. Then a boatercross start for each class from USA Raft river access.
– Course will finish at Chestoa Pike Bridge adjacent to Uncle Johnny’s Nolichucky Hostel. Take-out on river left below bridge at Uncle’s Johnny’s river access. USA Raft will be there to shuttle paddlers back up to their outpost.
– Awards Ceremony and Prize Draw will follow back at USA Raft. You must be present to win a prize.
Prizes are given for participation or volunteering, not placement, and a big bag of prizes from our local sponsors & WK partners will be given away via prize draws.
Shout out to our World Kayak Partners for the sweet prizes:
Big thanks also to our local sponsors for this event:
This event is being run by the Tri-Cities World Kayak Ambassador and his volunteer team. Volunteers are more than welcome to join in on the event fun to be eligible for prizes. “Click here to Contact Me” if you are interested in volunteering for this Throwdown event.
This Throwdown will have event coverage at http://worldkayakblogs.com/throwdown/ and each competitor will be able see their results & photos at this web link after the event.
World Kayak will be accepting walk-on registrations the day of the event.
- Novice (All ages, with paddlers grouped by age)
- Intermediate (All ages, with paddlers grouped by age)
- Expert (All ages, with paddlers grouped by age)
- Men’s K-1 Short Boat: Male paddlers age 18 or above in 9′-0″ or shorter kayak
- Men’s K-1 Long Boat: Male paddlers age 18 or above in 9′-1″ or longer kayak
- Women’s K-1 Short Boat: Female paddlers age 18 or above in 9′-0″ or shorter kayak
- Women’s K-1 Long Boat: Female paddlers age 18 or above in 9′-1″ or longer kayak
- C-1: Single blade paddlers (open boat or kayak)
- Juniors: Youth paddlers age 17 or below
- SUP: You know who you are…
We will also create other classes on the day of the event, if there is enough participation (Minimum of 5 participants to make class): i.e. K-2 class (Duos), OC-1 class, Open class (inflatable crafts, etc…).
Come out, have fun and strut your stuff! Hope to see you on the Noli!!
Event Organizer: Wesley R. Bradley ~ (423) 647-1321