The good folks at the Nantahala Outdoor Center are excited to team up with World Kayak to host a FREE Hometown Throwdown event during the Guest Appreciation Festival at the NOC Wave and Surf School Wave located adjacent to the NOC Store near Bryson City, NC.
The Jr’s, Men’s & Women’s Novice classes will compete at the Surf School Wave and all other classes will compete on the NOC Wave.
The NOC Wave has been in spot light for the past four year as the feature of the NOC Freestyle Shootout. This feature will soon be reconstructed into a permanent manmade feature to host the 2013 International Canoe Federation Freestyle World Championships! The current rock stacked dam feature continues to be worked on by local paddlers and is dialed in right now for a great Hometown Throwdown good time! Make plans to join us!
- The NOC has asked that you please obey the parking attendants for parking directions when you arrive on site. This is a very busy time of the year for them, so please be respectful of the parking situation. Please carpool or plan on dropping off your gear and parking at a remote lot. Parking is limited albeit FREE. Parking in unauthorized locations will result in being towed. Please obey all rules or you will inevitably be towed, which is not FREE
- Paddlers please put in and take out on NOC property (river left)—do not use the lower Silver Mine commercial take-out.
- Make sure you have a USFS Nantahala River use pass! You must have USFS annual ($5) or day use ($1) pass which can be purchased at the Wesser General Store, Outfitter’s Store or Rafting Center. The penalty is a $75 USFS fine and you cannot register without presenting your pass.
- Be extra careful about respecting the other outfitters.
- A SAFE event is a FUN event! If anyone on the water needs help at any point in time, the paddlers’ run will not be counted against them if they stop to assist. Also, paddlers will not be bumped or unable to jump back into play if they assist others.
On-Site Registration for the event will be 11:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. at the tent on the old steel bridge below the wave. The event will kick off with a competitor’s meeting @ 12:00 P.M. on the old steel bridge below the wave. The first heat of rides will kick off after the competitor’s meeting. The awards ceremony and prize draw will follow shortly after the last heat of rides to conclude the event.
The event will be ran with the typical World Kayak Hometown Throwdown format/rules & class registration that will be explained on event day.
2011 NOC GAF Event Sponsors:
This is just one of several events that will be going on during the GAF weekend, so lots of BIG Boomin’ Fun is in store to be had at the NOC during this weekend.
If you have never had the pleasure to join in on the fun of a Hometown Throwdown and don’t know what it is all about; check out this blog post with photos, videos & the story from the 2010 NOC GAF HTTD event that was held at the NOC Wave last year: http://worldkayakblogs.com/throwdown/2010/09/29/2010-n-o-c-g-a-f-hometown-throwdown-event-coverage/
Event Contact Info:
Organizer: Rick Thompson and Francheska Barreto
Telephone: (678) 907-1378
I hope to see you on the Nanty for the NOC GAF Hometown Throwdown!